Task 1: What Matters To You?
This SPLICED unit is all about issues that matter to young people. In this task you will be thinking about an issue that matters to you and your peers, gathering data about that issue and presenting it in an info-graphic.
Info-graphics are being used more and more to engage audiences and display data. Info-graphics allow us to display data and information in a way that is clear, meaningful and more interesting to the viewer than a basic graph or chart.
This task will take you around 2 hours
Steps to creating your info-graphic:
1. Become familiar with info-graphics and the presentation of visual data. To do this take a look at some info-graphics shown and watch the You Tube clip on creating good info-graphics.
2. Come up with a ‘good question’ to research. Think about an issue that is important to you and your friends. It could be about their feelings about wearing school uniforms, questions about transition to high school, what subjects are most popular or difficult. Think of an issue you would like to research and conduct a survey or other research to gather the data you need.
3. Hand sketch a draft of what you think your final info-graphic will look like. Although many of the info-graphics we see are quite long try to keep your info-graphic simple and clear.
4. You can choose to create your info-graphic using an online tool such as, Infogram, Piktochart or easel.ly or you can simply draw your info-graphic.
5. Remember to use colours and fonts to reflect your message.
6. Don’t forget to reference the source of your data.